An exciting position has become available starting on 17th September 2018 (the new academic year). If you have experience working in a mainstream Secondary school we are keen to hear from you!
A Secondary Pupil Referral Unit based in Dagenham are looking for a Teaching Assistant to join their team. The successful applicant will be working in the school's library which is separate from the main school site but functions as a normal classroom.
The position is:
- Full time hours - Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4pm
- Long term - continuing for the full academic year and potentially beyond if you work well there!
- Term time only
- An exciting and varied role to work with students with different personalities and from a range of backgrounds
The school are a Pupil Referral Unit who provide 70 full time places for 11 to 16 year olds who have been excluded from mainstream education on a permanent or short term basis. The class sizes are small, with a maximum of 6 students in each. Many of the students have social, emotional and behavioural difficulties and their education has been disrupted as a result of this.
The school provides a very supportive and caring environment for its students to facilitate their return to mainstream schooling or take up a college place. They have high expectations of behaviour and reward students for this with residential trips and team-building activities on which staff will participate. Students are also encouraged to make positive contributions to their local community, participating in borough sports events and supporting young people with disabilities.
The Teaching Assistant responsibilities:
- Providing learning support to students between year 7 and 11
- Carrying out effective behaviour management in line with the school's policies and procedures
- At times you will need to hold/restrain students - there will be Team Teach trained staff on standby to assist with this
- Differentiating work for students of different abilities
- Supporting pupils with Special Educational Needs (SEN)
- Welcoming students into the classroom
- Break and lunch duty
- Mentoring students
- Giving timeouts to students when required
- Providing subject-specific support
You do NOT need to have worked in a PRU to be considered for this position. The school are seeking individuals with mainstream Secondary school experience who are confident with behaviour management, are familiar with the secondary school curriculum and are passionate about getting students reintegrated into mainstream schooling as quickly and effectively as possible.
Please apply now to be considered for this position or call the SEN team to find out more!
Horizon Teachers is a specialist Education Recruitment Consultancy that helps Teachers and Support Staff find long term, permanent and interim employment in Primary, Secondary and Special Schools throughout London and the South East. As part of the registration process you will be required to have a DBS Check carried out and all original relevant qualifications will need to be sighted and copied before any work placement.
Horizon Teachers. Our Integrity, your Horizon.