Teaching Assistant in English
Are you confident with your behaviour management skills? Do you have a background or interest in English language and literature? This could be the ideal role for you!
A position has just become available to work as a Teaching Assistant at a Secondary Pupil Referral Unit in the Barking and Dagenham area. The school are seeking applicants with experience working as a Teaching Assistant in either a Mainstream School or Pupil Referral Unit with Secondary students. The position:
- Full time hours - Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4pm term time only
- Long term until the end of the academic year
- Start date - 1st October
The school are a Pupil Referral Unit who provide 70 full time places for 11 to 16 year olds who have been excluded from mainstream education on a permanent or short term basis. The class sizes are small, with a maximum of 6 students in each. Many of the students have social, emotional and behavioural difficulties and their education has been disrupted as a result of this.
The school provides a very supportive and caring environment for its students to facilitate their return to mainstream schooling or take up a college place. They have high expectations of behaviour and reward students for this with residential trips and team-building activities on which staff will participate. Students are also encouraged to make positive contributions to their local community, participating in borough sports events and supporting young people with disabilities.The Teaching Assistant responsibilities:
- Providing learning support to students between year 7 and 11
- Carrying out effective behaviour management in line with the school's policies and procedures
- At times you will need to hold/restrain students - there will be Team Teach trained staff on standby to assist with this
- Differentiating work for students of different abilities
- Supporting students with Special Educational Needs (SEN)
- Welcoming students into the classroom
- Break and lunch duty
- Mentoring students
- Giving timeouts to students when required
- Providing support in English lessons
The successful applicant will be confident in the Key Stage 3 and GCSE English curriculum and have excellent behaviour management skills. The school have high expectations of their staff so punctuality and reliability must be exceptional. Applicants must also be proactive, enthusiastic and passionate about working with vulnerable students and getting them reintegrated into mainstream education.
Please apply now to be considered for this position and contact Chris on the SEN team at Horizon Teachers for more information.
Horizon Teachers is a specialist Education Recruitment Consultancy that helps Teachers and Support Staff find long term, permanent and interim employment in Primary, Secondary and Special Schools throughout London and the South East. As part of the registration process you will be required to have a DBS Check carried out and all original relevant qualifications will need to be sighted and copied before any work placement.
Horizon Teachers. Enhancing Children's Education.