An all- through school in Lewisham are looking to appoint a class teacher for their primary department. The class teacher will need to have experience working with students with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD). This is a Fixed Term 1 Year Contract from April 2019 - April 2020. There is the potential for extension, subject to progression and impact.
The school have a very exciting curriculum, a great staff team and provide lots of support, guidance, friendship and fun for all their staff. The school is a state of the art special school for children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) from 4 to 19 years old. The school is a hub for ASD support for Lewisham.
This role is to work in their purpose-build school with its ground breaking new facilities They are continually striving to develop their work with their pupils, parents and carers, the local community and the schools provide specialist support throughout their outreach team and the training they offer. The vision for the school is for its staff to work in trans-disciplinary ways - professionals working together seamlessly to meet the needs of the children.
Duties and Responsibilities
• To deliver the Key stage 2 National Curriculum to a range of needs and abilities, the class has 12 children ranging from year 3 to 6.
• Treat pupils with dignity, and provide a safe, positive and stimulating environment in which pupils feel encouraged to learn.
• Plan, prepare and deliver engaging lessons, as well as using a wide variety of strategies to meet differing learning styles.
• Manage the inclusion of the ARP children into mainstream lessons including providing verbal and written support plans for mainstream teachers and other support staff.
• Work as a part of a team with both teaching and support staff, manage the ARP support staff and participate in their performance reviews as required.
Too apply for this position you must have/be:
• Qualified teacher status or recognised equivalent
• Right to work in the UK
• A minimum of two successful years teaching (preferably with children who have identified special educational needs)
• Experience teaching/supporting children with autism
• Experience using Makaton and/or PECS
• Passionate about working with SEND!
Horizon Teachers is a specialist Education Recruitment Consultancy that helps Teachers and Support Staff find long term, permanent and interim employment in Primary, Secondary and Special Schools throughout London and the South East. As part of the registration process you will be required to have a DBS Check carried out and all original relevant qualifications will need to be sighted and copied before any work placement.
Horizon Teachers. Enhancing Children's Education.