As a teacher and classroom practitioner, you soon come to realise that a mainstream setting is not always the best place for all of your pupils to achieve their targets and perhaps feel or know for certain that an alternative setting would cater to their needs far better and then you think of what it would be like to teach in an alternative setting and then you apply to this role!
Planning tailored lessons can be a very demanding and challenging task on a daily basis even more so in a mainstream class when you are also catering for gifted and talented and special education needs all at the same time and building long trusting relationships can be put to the back of the priority list! Speaking from an ex mainstream teaching perspective, I soon came to realise that a teaching role within an alternative setting not only allowed me to tailor learning in a realistic timeframe but I actually got to know my pupils, all of their likes and dislikes and built a foundation of respect and trust not only with the pupils but with their parents/carers and outside agencies which made for a very enjoyable teaching time!
With that in mind, a very special alternative setting based in Brent for primary aged pupils all with a statement of special education needs including social, emotional, mental health needs and social emotional behavioural needs (although just labels) are seeking a caring and motivated qualified teacher to join them full time from January to help with the KS2 curriculum planning and general teaching.
What the role involves:
· KS2 curriculum planning
· Small class size teaching (less than 10)
· Planning for TAs
· Very supportive Senior Leadership Team
· CPD and relevant training
The school are seeking someone like you who:
· Is not afraid to challenge the pupils learning
· Can cope with changes in the school day
· Doesn’t enjoy such a vigorous academic culture and yet gets the best out of the learners even if the best thing they have done is turn up on that day
· Is caring, engaging and ‘thinks outside the box’
· Has a good sense of humour – it does help!
You should definitely apply if you…
· Are ready to take on some more responsibility
· Want to have a valuable input and have say in what should be taught
· Are QTS or QTLS qualified with Primary experience
· Have the relevant qualifications to teach in the UK
What to do next… submit your CV or call and ask to speak to Darsha on the SEN team to arrange your interview and trial with school!
Horizon Teachers is a specialist Education Recruitment Consultancy that helps Teachers and Support Staff find long term, permanent and interim employment in Primary, Secondary and Special Schools throughout London and the South East.
As part of the registration process you will be required to have a DBS Check carried out and all original relevant qualifications will need to be sighted and copied before any work placement. Horizon Teachers. Our Integrity, your Horizon.