A growing number of children and young people in the UK are being identified as having Special Educational Needs (SEN) whether academic, physical, mental health/medical or behavioural. Many improvements have been made to support children within specialist provisions such as Complex Needs Schools and Pupil Referral Units (PRUs). These developments have led to an increase in the demand for qualified Teachers.
The benefits of Supporting in a SEN setting include:
- Supporting 1:2:1 or small groups in small classes of up to 10 students
- A high ratio of staff to students
- A creative and practical learning environment
- Working in collaboration with a range of specialists (e.g. therapists and counsellors)
- Gaining relevant qualifications e.g. Makaton, PECs, TEACCH, TeamTeach
To be successful in a SEN school or PRU you will need:
- A dynamic and creative approach to teaching
- An ability to engage students and promote independence
- A good general understanding of SEN and additional needs
- Or a good general understanding of Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties (SEBD)
- A willingness to learn and develop your own knowledge and skill set
Working with Horizon Teachers you can expect:
- Full and part time work (to work with other commitments)
- Free safeguarding training
- Uplift in pay
- Assistance in obtaining an enhanced DBS check (if applicable)
- Dedicated SEN Consultant with an SEN teaching background
This is a great way for you to build on your school experience and a foundation for obtaining SEN knowledge to assist with Teacher Training courses you may consider in the future.
So whether you are an experienced SEN Support Assistance or someone who is seeking a change from the mainstream classroom, Horizon Teachers can help! Our Consultants are all former Teachers who can guide you through the process in finding your perfect role within a non-mainstream school. We have opportunities in Early Years to Key stage 5, starting now and in September so please apply with your CV or contact our dedicated SEN team on 0207 444 0009 for more information; we look forward to hearing from you!
Horizon Teachers is a specialist Education Recruitment Consultancy that helps Teachers and Support Staff find long term, permanent and interim employment in Primary, Secondary and Special Schools throughout London and the South East. As part of the registration process you will be required to have a DBS Check carried out and all original relevant qualifications will need to be sighted and copied before any work placement.
Horizon Teachers. Our Integrity, your Horizon.